BANGKOK: CITY OF ANGELS


They say that in New York you are never more than 3 feet away from a rat, in Dublin it's a pub and in Bangkok it surely must be something to eat. (A cynic might also say you are never more than 3 feet from a farang DOSM with a young Thai girl on his arm) Food vendors literally clog the streets, from market stalls, to snack bars, mobile fruit vendors, grills that appear from no where offering delights from pig skin to octopus, to my personal favourite - footpath restaurants, and that is not even including the actual established restaurants and the like. All this proved to be pretty handy for my temporary incapacitation due to a run n with the reef at Nias on my last day. As the picture shows, the rot set in on my foot and it ain't pretty. (The other foot is actually worse !!!)
In any normal city I would have had to haul myself for block after block just for the smell of decent food, whereas here I have counted 21 restaurants within 500 metres of where I am staying. My quest to eat at them all is proceeding at a leisurely place - I have rediscoverd my favourite pad thai restaurant in all Thailand, and the street stall out the front sells a tom yum goong to die for. So despite my suffering - oh the pain, the pain, fear not - I am being well looked after - by my self.

No comments: