Apathy, or how I know it is time to move on

I don't want to see any more old buildings - a mosque is a church is a colonial office.
I don't want to be invited for tea with the awkwardness of working out whether I am supposed to pay and then the long silences caused by the inability to communicate in a common language.
I don't want to have to negotiate finding the right bus terminal, chose a bus company, bargain the fare, argue with the luggage boy, arrive in a new town and try to find a place to stay.
I don't want to have a complicated conversation, using mainly hand gestures, to try and stop everything I buy being wrapped in three plastic bags.
I don't want to watch people throw rubbish absolutely wherever they feel like it - on the street, out the window of a moving vehicle, over the edge of the wall of a ruin, without even a second glance.
Time to move on.

 

No comments: