Planes and noise

So at 1am this morning I got on a Singapore airlines flight from Singapore to Japan, however even in my delirious state I noticed a stark difference with my previous flight from Melbourne to Singapore. The plane was almost silent. Granted it was a little less crowded than the Melbourne flight but there wasn't even a dull hum, compared to the raucous noise during boarding in Melbourne - babies screaming, kids yelling and conversations at top volume across the aisles. It reminded me of the thing about Japan - despite the masses of people, everything seems to hum along efficiently, without any excess or unnecessary light, noise or sound. No doubt for some Japanese this is incredibly stifling, but for the visiting tourist the immediate tranquility is calming and enjoyable. Of course the practical silence lasted for the entire flight, not a whimper from a child or overly loud bogan conversations about the latest tattoo. Bring on Japan

No comments: