On my way to Iran

So sayonara to Japan and I am on my way to Iran....with a 9 hour stop over in Abu Dhabi. As I step of the plane, walking down the stairs the air is thick with sand - we are in the middle of a sandstorm!!

At the airport I am immmediately struck by how, particularly in comparision to Japan, this enclave in the desert has transformed itself in to a global hub used by people from everywhere. From well coiffered Arabs dressed in their spotless, flowing white robes crowned by a turban, to weary looking Afghani farmers with age lines etched in their faces with their wives and daughters completely covered in black, to groups of young Indian men listening at full volume on their phones to imans lecturing the world about all that is wrong, to lanky but graceful East Africans, to a middle aged Australian bloke in stubbies, flanno and thongs. As I wait for my flight, the constant last calls for flights to such exotic destinations as Cairo, Lahore, Mumbaii, Moscow, Tashkent makes my feet feel itchy(ier).

No comments: