Good question

On the way back from seeing the carved churches of Lalibela, I arrived
in Woldyia, a junction town which failed in it's sole purpose -
providing transport to get out of it. After a strange scene in which I
had a stand up argument with the six fingered bus boy (it was an extra
little pinky, tacked on the end of the hand, with nail and all. Once I
noticed it, it was almost impossible to stop my eyes from drifting down
to look at in brief, firvative glances, before quickly shifting my gaze
out of a mix of good manners and a sense of repulsion) about having to
pay for him to put my bag in the luggage compartment at the back. In the
end I wrenched the tool key from his hand, after threatening to take the
phone from his ear, opened the boot, got my bag and walked away. I kept
walking out of town, to some very surprised looks by locals. I stood by
the road for a while and very few cars past, but after twenty minutes or
so a ute stopped, and despite going only fifty kilometres, I through my
bag in the back and jumped in.

I was sharing the car with three other guys, two middle aged and one in
his late teens. Most people in Ethiopia can speak a fair amount of
English but they are usually too shy to try. As we drove along the
driver made some jokes in English about how the other two were
graduates, yet he was the only one willing to give talking in English a
shot. After about twenty minutes we reached a small town, stopped at a
bar, and the driver and one of the passengers got out. The other
passenger then started to ask me a few questions about where I was from,
where I had been in Ethiopia (the stone churches in Lalibela) and where
I was going in Ethiopia (the monasteries in Tigray). Inevitably we ended
up with the usual, what is your religion ? question.

"I have no religion" I told him, "I don't believe in God". He thought
about that for a while and then shot this curly one at me,
"You don't believe in Jesus and you don't have a church, so why do you
come to visit churches in Ethiopia ?"

I was floored by that one and have been trying to think of a good
comeback ever since.

No comments: