Rwandan transport

Waiting in Kigali for a local minibus taxi to fill, I was surprised that we left when there was only 14 passengers inside, each seat occupied but no overcrowding. When I explained to a local I had been chatting to that in Uganda all of the minibuses have licensed to carry 14 passengers written on the side of them but how we had been in one with 27 people he explained
In Rwanda if the taxi has even one extra person, the police will stop it and fine the driver 10,000 francs ($20). If the driver argues the police will call the tow truck, and if the driver continues to argue the police will take away his driving licence. There are many police in Kigali, so all of the drivers follow the rules.
Before it was very dangerous travelling in public transport, so the government made these rules and now it is much better.
Rwanda is the only place in Africa that I ever saw a local person reprimand a driver for his erratic driving, in other countries people would tut, shake their heads and hold on for dear life, but in Rwanda when a driver went to overtake another vehicle approaching a blind corner, a passenger called out to him, and said what sounded like, slow down and stop being an idiot. Damo immediately applauded her and the acknowledgement crossed the language barrier, and they both ended up nodding at each other in agreement.

This was the beginning of the formulation of my Rwanda thesis, to be detailed at length soon.

When I attempted to cross the border of Rwanda and Congo, I had secreted $10 in my passport as I had been informed that sometimes the Congolese will ask for a little present to exempt you fro the visa requirement. As I was walking past the official on the Rwandan side he asked to see my passport, which I duly pulled out of my pocket and handed to him. As I was placing it in his hands I remembered the $10, and said, One moment, I have some money inside the passport.
He was so careful to be even not seen to be handling any money from a tourist, which could be perceived as a bribe that the official immediately removed his hands and the passport dropped to the ground. He instructed me to take out the money and then give him the passport.
As Godwin later explained, there are always people watching, and if he eats even one dollar he will  be in jail for a long time.
 

No comments: