10 years younger with absolutely no effort.... Guaranteed

The first thing that struck me about TV in the US is the number of ads for cosmetics - it seems there is a cream, shake, exercise regime, new wonder home gym or television makeover program to get you looking younger than you ever were. I however discovered a far easier, cheaper and more ego-boosting method than all of those.... Simply go to a bar in the US & A

The first time I went out to a bar in Colorado, a dusty dive at that, I got carded - that is the barman asked me for ID. The leagl drinking age in most US states is 21, and the more that I think about it the more I come to realise that the US is probably the only place in the world where I would be asked for ID to drink. Now that I am the ripe old age of 31, and I clearly look my age, it is a rare occurence to be asked to show ID.

Of course in my usual style, carrying ID is a little problematic - whilst I do have a driver's licence it is expired so I prefer not to carry that in case the police stop me and notice - so all I had to show that night was my International Driver's Licence. If you have ever seen an IDL you understand why the barman immediately had some doubts. (again I keep thinking to myself, but I am 31, I look 31, I have a beard - do you really think I would go to all this trouble of producing an IDL to be able to get a drink in this divvy bar?) The barman couldn't find the date of birth on the IDL, so I indicated where it was written. "But that is just written in pen" he said.... (Again the thoughts about the effort required for the fraud) Unconvinced the barman goes off to see the manager.

Meanwhile my drinking companion is laughing at me, whilst I am engaged by some drunks at the bar who try the old - what is your star sign ? trick. (Little do they know that when I was 16 or 17 I learnt all the star signs to match my real age) Finally the managed comes out, introduces himself, shakes my hand, turns to the barman and says, "That's fine".

So everytime I went to a bar after that I always looked forward to that moment when the person serving me or working at the door would look at me and ask for identification. In Colorado it never happened again, but on my last night out in the US & A in Texas I went to a martini bar and I was not dissapointed.

After ensconsing ourselves on a comfy leather couch, perusing the seemingly endless list of martini possibilities and finally deciding what we wanted, the waitress looked us all over and asked for identification. Having already had a few drinks (and secure in the knowledge that I had my passport if need be) I asked the waitress if she really thought I was under 21. Her reply was, "Oh no...but we have to ask everybody who looks under thirty". This was red rag to a bull stuff - so you think I am under 30 ? I asked. "Yes", she replied, "exactly how old are you ?"

It may have been the alcohol, the dim lighting or the side effects of the giardia consuming the fish tacos in my stomach, but all of a sudden I felt younger than I had for a long time....(and the martinis were delicious)

No comments: