American Men and Facial Hair

Perhaps it is the Chuck Norris effect or a hang over from the Village People, but there seems to be something about American men and facial hair.
At first I thought it was just the heavy machine operators - plough drivers, bulldozers, truckies and the loggers. But then I noticed that you don't just have to operate a big machine or be a Nascar driver to let it all hang out on your chin. Facial follicles it appears is the new black for American men.
Whilst I can concede, having tried it out for a while myself, that the beard is quite a good insulator against the cold, I am talking about a whole different category of facial fashion than the wild man from Borneo unkempt for winter look.
The most disturbing of all is the cropped tash (moustache for those not in the know) look which seems to be all the rage. (Which I have subsequently spotted being worn by American surfers on the beaches of Mexico)
It all makes me think of the fact that they must be something to hide, or whatever it was that Frued said about men with facial hair.
This might all just stem from the fact that my attempts to join the club simply result in immediate laughter from anyone who sees me, I still think there must be something in the water.
Sometimes when on the road one's sense of self embarrasment is greatly reduced (what more can be said)

No comments: